Help! I Suffered a Slip and Fall Accident
If you have suffered a slip and fall accident, you may have a lot of questions about what to do next. Slip and fall accidents are troublesome, because they can happen anywhere to anyone. Slip and falls can occur in both bad and nice weather. Truthfully, most of us will suffer a slip and fall at sometime in our lifetime, and it’s most likely not your fault.
Businesses, homes, parking lots and walkways must uphold a moderate level of safety for anyone who travels on their premises. This form of law is referred to as premises liability which means that if you are injured on somebody’s property- due to negligence- you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost hours at work and more.
Here are some steps to take immediately following a slip and fall accidents.
- Seek Medical Attention- This will do wonders to start the recovery on your injuries, but it also serves as legal documentation of your injuries immediately after they occurred. This will be invaluable in any court proceedings. Your doctor will take your statement and make a diagnosis.
- Report the Fall- If you fell in a department store, friends house, apartment building or anywhere else, make sure you report it to the manager, owner or landlord. Ask that a business owner or manager make their own report of the incident and obtain a copy before you leave.
- Relax- It is important to remain calm during these situations. Becoming irate will only hurt your position in court later down the road. Focus on your recovery and getting treated for any injuries.
- Take Photos- Now that everyone has a smartphone in their pocket it is important to take photos of the exact location of the accident. Additionally, document the date and time of your accident. Evidence can disappear with the swipe of a mop.
- Collect Contact Info- Gather the contact information of everyone involved in the accident. This includes addresses and anyone who may have witnessed the accident/
- Store Your Shoes and Clothing- Place your clothing and shoes in a safe storage place, as they might contain evidence that could be used in court.
- Call an attorney- When considering legal action, it is important to retain the counsel of an experience attorney. Seek out a successful law firm that has experience, knowledge and history of success in recovering the money that you deserve.